Writer: Timothy Dumont Jr.
Co-writer: Crystal Ferguson

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Flashback Entry 92: Saba Bernauw -Nick-

My introduction in to magic started when I was 17. I had gotten bored with all the mundane sleight of hand tricks, so I decided to look for the real thing. I wanted to make rabbits really pop out of my hat.

My search kept bringing up the same name. Bernauw. The name could be found with a toe in any kind of magic happenings. I knew then that if I was to learn of magic, I'd have to find them. So I searched.

The more I searched, the more I learned about the magic world. By the time I was standing in front of their sweeping mansion, I all ready had some impressive spells under my belt. I had planned to impress them with my skills and then have them teach me more.

I could feel the magic flow off of the house, and it didn't surprise me when the door opened of its own accord as I approached. What's more, I could barely feel the magic that caused it.

I barely stepped three feet into the door when I was met by a young woman. She was about 25 and had an Arabic look to her. Dark, black hair, olive colored skin, and she held herself with a look of royalty.

"You must be Nick Brown. I admit I have followed your search for quite some time. You are an impressive person." She seemed excited to have me in her house. It was quite a surprise.

"I am. And you are?"

"Oh, forgive me! Sometimes I just lose track of my manners. My name is Saba Bernauw. I am a spirit Persuader; class 12."

"Spirit Persuader? Class 12? I'm sorry, I've never come across those terms before."

"I should say not, I am one of a kind. I can speak directly to spirits and control ones of a lower class. It's a very limited type of magic, though it does not give off much in the way of a magical signature."

"And Class 12?"

"It means that I've honed my craft to the highest I can."

"Ah." She had led me into a large chamber where a young man sat writing on a tablet. She motioned to a chair and then left the room quickly. I realized almost immediately that this man was her husband. I swiftly sat and remained quiet.

"So, you are Nick? You look quite scrawny and give off the aura of an old woman." The man talked while he wrote.

"I'm so-"

"How ever, you have done some amazing spells for someone of your . . . age and intelligence. Therefore, I've decided to hire you. You will assist my wife on her outings and be paid accordingly. I will teach you what I know after you've proven you're worthy. That is all."

"Her outings?"

The man sighed, "Yes, outings. She loves ancient relics and some of them are fairly dangerous. Normally she could do this stuff on her own but since she became pregnant, I have decided that she needs some help. Now, no more questions; it's time for you to go."

So now I had the job I would learn to hate, just as I would learn to hate their son.

No comments:

Post a Comment